Monday, January 15, 2018

Prepare to meet your Maker...


If I had been in Hawaii when the ballistic missile alert was issued, I would have turned to Randy and said, “I KNEW THIS WOULD HAPPEN!”

This is precisely the kind of event I expect to happen when I venture outside my safe zone. This, or a natural disaster of some sort: earthquake, volcanic eruption, tornado.

My safe zone, when I am feeling audacious, matches the boundary of Whatcom County. I confess that sometimes it is not even that big.

For some reason, I grew up believing that stepping outside of this area was akin to inviting a disaster to occur.

And therefore, I would have been unsurprised to get such an alert. In fact, my biggest surprise has been that I have traveled a fair bit and it has NOT happened to me yet.

It’s such fun to plan a vacation with me.

I have worked hard to get over this phobia, and learned how to enjoy the journey. I try to be rational, and have made good progress…but underneath is still the conviction of throwing responsibility to the wind and taking a grave risk, pun intended.

Yes, I know that statistically it is almost certain that I will die within the confines of my safe zone, whether by terrorist attack, natural disaster, accident or old age. And irrationally, I don’t worry about that. Ha!

I finally hit on something that comforts me when I step out into the World of Risk: I want to be the kind of person that you are grateful is there when disaster strikes.

So I guess I should imagine that after I said, “I KNEW THIS WOULD HAPPEN!”, I would have followed with, “How can I help?” Because, after all, I have the blessing of knowing where I am going if the worst happens. How can I help while I am on the way there?

Hmmm. Not a bad question for everyday…


No comments:

Post a Comment