Sunday, November 8, 2009

I don't think so...

I noticed these plot summaries of the new movies in town this weekend:

"A married couple is presented with a small box containing a button that when pushed will grant them a million dollars and kill someone they don't know..."

"Set in 1967, a professor watches his life unravel when his wife prepares to leave him because his inept brother won't move out of the house..."

"A Nome, Alaska-based psychotherapist's videotaped sessions with her patients offer the most compelling evidence of alien abduction ever documented..."

"A sometimes serious, sometimes whimsical look at the people who bring chickens in their urban backyards..."

Don't these descriptions just make you want to RUSH right out and lay down your $15 to watch a movie??? As if watching the news isn't bad enough lately, the movies only offer the slimiest and most asinine of plot lines. I've spent the day working, and worrying about my country, and so FOR SURE I'll want to spend the evening watching people wrestle with whether killing "someone they don't know" is worth a million dollars (THIS is a moral dilemmna???). Or maybe I can relax while watching someone's life unravel...On the other hand, perhaps the stimulation of seeing people terrified out of their gourds would be a good way to get the old ticker going, and the brain a-stirring! Better yet, I could spend a couple of hours hearing why people raise chickens in town...

As I read the movie info, I was struck by how overwhelmingly pathetic the options are...I'd have to be desperate to choose one of these movies! Someone would have to pay ME to go see them!!I thought about checking into the kid movies as they are probably a better bet. I'd think about going to them for the mere entertainment value and the escapism of laughter...But the older I get, and the more I deal with indigestion, all those burp & fart jokes aren't so funny any more...

What has happened to movies whose goal was to make you feel good about life when you reached the end??...THAT'S what I'm looking for. I can find them in the archives, but it would be nice to find them in a theater once in a while...

No comments:

Post a Comment