Monday, January 18, 2010

I want a gold star...

...for being a TSA Excellent Traveler!

There's just something about rules for me...If I know there are rules, I feel I MUST follow them to the letter. In my maturity, uh, let's make that in my JOURNEY TOWARD maturity, I have realized that some rules are dumb, and some are really just optional and can be adjusted to reality, or context, or whatever. But it's hard for me to do that...It makes me uncomfortable in a looking-over-my-shoulder, I'm-gonna-get-in-trouble sort of way.

But when there are rules that are not dumb and MUST  be followed...well -- I shine...and I WANT to shine.

This became clear to me once again as we went through the airport security line. Now, come on people, the line is usually long enough for you to read all the signs, and take all the actions necessary. I was ready, READY I tell you!(and everyone else should be too!) My shoes were off, my jacket was off -- both in the bin. My laptop was out; the bag separated in a bin...nothing in my pockets...And I slipped right through that portal into the great beyond of airline travel. I was a bit chagrined to look back and see that my dear hubby was being re-scanned as he forgot to take his cell phone out of his pocket, and then again, had to take off his belt.

As I gathered my things, I realized that it felt a little empty...I guess I really hoped to be appreciated, complimented on my consideration and efficiency. Wasn't there a sticker or SOMETHING? Why couldn't it be like school...The TSA guy says, "Now, everyone! Look at this lady here as an example of how to go through an airport security line. She had everything ready -- shoes, jacket off, items in bins, boarding pass ready...You should all try to be like her! Travelers like her make this process efficient and effective." He hands me a certificate for a free latte...and I beam, rewarded by my effort. Afterwards people come up and ask my how I did it...etc., etc...

But that didn't happen...or anything even close. I'm not saying that my efforts were unappreciated. In fact, I'm sure they were. But in a grown-up world, you're supposed to do things in order to enhance efficiency, or out of consideration for others -- not because you want to win a gold star.

And in that category, I think I get a "Needs Improvement"...As I said, in my JOURNEY TOWARD MATURITY...

No comments:

Post a Comment