Tuesday, April 26, 2011

I beg to differ, Sir...

The other day at his convo with Facebook founder and workers, President Obama said the following about how the Republicans want to "change our social compact":

"No matter how successful I am, no matter how much I've taken from this country...{he lists numerous ways his family received aid from the government}Their notion is, despite the fact that I've benefited from all these investments, that somehow I now have no obligation to people who are less fortunate than me; and I have no real obligation to future generations to make investments so that they have a better future."

A lot of people took offense at his implication that those who don't want to pay more taxes are not generous or caring toward those who have less than they...and yes, that offends me too. But even more, I am offended that many of us who provide jobs directly through our businesses, and indirectly through the purchases we make in our community, are not considered to be making "investments" in our country.

Apparently, in the President's value system, you are a taker if you become successful -- no matter that you never took a dime of government help, and instead provided employment that allowed people to invest in their own success.

Apparently, in the President's value system, you can only invest in your country by paying taxes...If paying our taxes is such a good "investment" -- implied that a dividend, or gain will be enjoyed -- why are we constantly paying more and more taxes?  Good investments pay the investor back...

That isn't happening with any of the taxes we've paid...Too much money is going to reward people for being inactive and unproductive.  Wouldn't it be better for businesses to be able to use their own money to expand and hire more and produce more, passing on the benefit of that investment to the individual to use as they see fit?

It's not about equality of outcomes; it's about equality of opportunity, Sir! I beg to differ with your definition of investing in our country.

PS...I didn't sign up for the "social compact" you say the Republicans are trying to change...and I dare to be there are a lot more out there like me...

No comments:

Post a Comment