Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas isn't what it used to be...

At the end of a good day of celebrating with my family, I’m pondering that Christmas isn’t the highlight of my year – like it used to be. Don’t get me wrong – today was a WONDERFUL day! We enjoyed the kids, the laughter, the gifts that were thoughtful in generous and joking ways. Last night we had The Turkey Dinner. My parents came to share it, and we laughed and joked as we rode through town looking for crazily lighted houses. Before this week, the shopping and the decorating, the music programs, even the baking heightened the anticipation...Fun in itself to prepare for these few days of celebration.


But tonight, I’m thinking that it’s not the big event it once was – and feeling the usual post-Christmas letdown...Wondering if there was more I should do to build to a greater climax for the Christmas celebration. In the midst of my pondering comes the realization that I’m looking forward to my regular life tomorrow...Puttering around the house, picking up the happy messes of paper and boxes, and used dishes – evidence of fun already had, then walking the dog in the chilly air, sipping coffee while I contemplate what chores I will attempt...I like the everydays too.

In fact, I think I’ve come to the place where Christmas is not THE highlight of the year because I’ve become so much more content with my life...so much quicker to appreciate the good along the way: the peaceful everydays, the intermittent family gatherings anytime they come, the time to invest in friendships throughout the year...It’s really not that Christmas has diminished...It’s more that the moments as they happen have become more appreciated, more enjoyed, more precious...

I will still always love the glitz and fun of Christmas. It’s a special time where the whole world smiles together, and expresses their goodwill. But it’s not the only time, the only day...I’m glad to be in a place in my life where I am content with the CONtent of my relationships, my occupations, my blessings – and do much better at appreciating them any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment