Saturday, May 7, 2011

Ding Dong, Bin Laden is dead...

I was surprised to hear the breaking news last Sunday...not because I thought it was such a momentous event, but because I hadn't even thought about Bin Laden for a long time. Well, good -- I thought -- justice was served.

I was even more surprised to see the celebrating in the streets...It's not like the war on terror was won with this blow to Al Qaida...Why the big party? Then my wise sister opined that we on the west coast probably don't appreciate the loss and fear that was experienced at Bin Laden's hands in the cities of New York and D.C.

I think she's right.

I'm not into celebrating the need to assassinate any human being...but I would go with Mark Twain's quote: " I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure."

For me the biggest positive in this situation was pointed out by President Bush; that our military will mete out justice, no matter how long it takes.  I am very proud of the phenomenal men and women in our military, who, Bin Laden or no, fight the war on terror every day...And I admit that I am enthralled with Special Ops -- the discipline, the courage, the successful missions accomplished under great duress.

If we could only say that one-tenth of that were true of our media...Oh for goodness! I was anxious to hear the details of the mission, how these heroic soldiers accomplished justice -- but the ever-changing details of who was there, with what, doing what...The corrections, and corrections of corrections...I guess this is what happens to media when you are more concerned about being first than being right.

I'll wait for the book...

I will say now, with the utmost hypocrisy, as I am writing about this very thing, that I am tired of hearing about the subject. It is what it is, and you can't change what was done anyway. I am proud that our country decided to treat Bin Laden's body with respect, despite his lack of worthiness. It is what we would wish others to do for our men lost in battle.

He was a formidable foe...and now his body is lost to this world, just like his soul was lost to good.

No comments:

Post a Comment